One of the major car manufacturers in Russia and Eastern Europe
AVTOVAZ Group is a member of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance and a full-cycle manufacturer of cars and car parts for four brands: LADA, Renault, Nissan, and Datsun.
The President of AVTOVAZ is Yves Caracatzanis.
On July 20, 1966, the Government of the USSR issued a decree to build in the city of Togliatti a car manufacturing plant that would produce 600 thousand cars per year. This date is considered to be the birthday of the Volga Automobile Plant.
The new facility was built in record time: the construction started in 1967, and in 1970 the first car, VAZ-2101, rolled off the conveyor belt, marking the start of the now famous and popular LADA brand.
1966: The USSR Government issues a decree to build in the city of Togliatti a car manufacturing plant. V.N. Polyakov is appointed as the General Director of the new plant.
1970: The first VAZ-2101 rolls off the conveyor belt.
1977: The first LADA 4×4 is assembled (VAZ-2121 "Niva").
1984: The production of LADA Samara model line commences, ushering in the era of LADA's front-wheel-drive cars
1986: The USSR Government decides to establish a specialized research and development center based at AVTOVAZ.
1993: An open joint-stock company AVTOVAZ is established.
1996: Mass production of LADA 110 begins.
2004: LADA Kalina model line launches into production.
2007: The new best-in-class LADA Priora is made.
2008: A strategic partnership agreement with Renault is signed.
2011: LADA Granta model is released.
2012: The first LADA, LADA Largus, is built for the Renault-Nissan Alliance.
2015: The new-generation LADA, LADA Vesta, hits the market.
2016: Compact city crossover vehicle LADA XRAY is offered to the public.
2017: The Vesta product line is growing: for the first time in the brand's history, mass production of a hybrid LADA Vesta CNG begins. New models LADA Vesta SW and LADA Vesta SW Cross are released.
2018: LADA Vesta Cross sedan, LADA XRAY Cross, and the new product line LADA Granta are marketed.
AVTOVAZ is a unique entity, the largest Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance's manufacturer in Russia. The Togliatti-based plant is one of the biggest car factories in the world and the Alliance's only full-cycle manufacturing facility that makes cars and auto parts for four brands (LADA, Renault, Nissan, and Datsun).
LADA's current lineup consists of five families of cars.
- LADA Vesta (a sedan, in production since 2015; from 2017 the following models are being made: LADA Vesta CNG (hybrid sedan), LADA Vesta SW, and LADA Vesta SW Cross; from 2018, LADA Vesta Cross);
- LADA XRAY (a compact crossover, in production since 2015; in 2018, LADA XRAY Cross is added);
- LADA Largus (a 5-7-seat station wagon, in production since 2012; from 2015, LADA Largus Cross);
- LADA Granta (a new lineup, in production since 2018; comes as a sedan, hatchback, station wagon, and liftback);
- LADA 4х4 (a 3-door station wagon; in production since 1977; restyled in 1993, updated in 2009 and 2013; a 5-door station wagon in production since 1995; LADA 4х4 Urban – since 2014).
All LADA cars meet international environmental standards Euro-5, and those exported to the EU countries, – the Euro-6 standards.
Design and innovation
According to the company's midterm development plan, by 2026, AVTOVAZ is aiming to launch eight new LADA models and carry out a facelift on nine models.