RT Global Resources
A corporate competency centre for planning, supporting and managing raw materials and infrastructure projects
The company was created to carry out projects involving raw materials and infrastructure development in Russia and abroad. State Corporation Russian Technologies holds a 100% stake in RT Global Resources. The director is Andrei Korobov.
About the company
In December 2012, in connection with its participation in a series of large-scale Russian and foreign raw materials projects, Rostec made the decision to set up a corporate competency centre to deal with the planning, support and management of these projects. This centre is RT Global Resources.
RT Global Resources follows Rostec’s strategy of achieving maximum value for the corporation’s commercial raw materials and supporting infrastructure projects, as well as increasing capitalization.
• preparing and developing foreign raw materials projects
• implementing a ‘package’ approach through linking access to deposits with exports of Rostec’s and its partners’ end products and technology transfer
• ensuring the dynamic growth of the corporation’s Russian raw materials projects, attracting funding from extrabudgetary resources
• participating in infrastructure, service and logistics projects to support the raw materials industry, using innovative technologies and equipment produced by Rostec companies
As Russia accounts for approximately only two percent of worldwide production of rare earth metals (REM), a Russian high-tech industry is necessary to prevent changes to world market conditions concerning REM. For this purpose “RT Global Resources” is participating in a joint venture with ICT group (in which the share of “RT Global Resources” is twenty-five percent plus one share). Over the course of three years, the total investment by partners in the projects will be approximately one billion dollars, of which four hundred billion dollars will come from participants, and the remaining six hundred billion dollars from a loan.
The plans of Rostekh and IST include the following projects:
- Utilizing monazite deposits in the Krasnofimsk region, which contains large amounts of rare earth materials
- Construction of a hydrometallurgical plant
It is estimated that by 2020 the demand for rare earth materials in Russia will reach five to seven thousand tons per year, although more optimistic projections suggest nearly thirteen thousand tons.